Birthdays are extra special days in each kid’s life. They are the prince and princess of their parent’s life every single day, however on their birthday they are the most special person in class, among society friends and in activity classes as well. All friends want to sit and play with the birthday boy or girl.
Kids really look forward to their birthday for the whole year. These days, so many options are available in the market to make birthdays fun filled and memorable for them. You can make it a theme birthday with their favourite cartoon character or can arrange for a large canvas and water paints for a messy ‘Art and Craft’ themed birthday. Super Science birthdays are also quite in these days for kids aged 6 years and above.
Life is all about experiences as they will only turn into memories for a life time. I still remember with fondness the kind of birthdays we use to have in our times. Small celebrations with few neighborhood kids. Mom standing in the kitchen from morning to make few special delicacies for my friends.
In today’s age, most mothers are working and are hard pressed for time for elaborate birthday planning. A birthday party planner comes in handy at such times.
My daughter’s birthday falls in May and she is super excited about her birthday. From morning to evening we just talk about her birthday. Every day she revises her guest list and thinks of a return gift. I booked the party venue and outsourced most of things for a ‘Princess’ theme party, but we are doing a few things to give it a personalized touch just like old times. Here are the things that we did for our daughter’s birthday which you can try for making birthdays special.
1. Birthday countdown calendar – She started a countdown to her birthday approx. 15 days back. So together we made a beautiful calendar which was put up on her wall. Every morning first thing she does is tick off another day and feel happy that one less day to go for her birthday.
2. Personalized invitations and Thank You Cards – My daughter loves making cards. She has an artistic flair from the time she has been just one year old. So we made our own princess castle theme card as invitation card and Thank you cards for her friends. She has recently started writing full sentences so it was fun to watch her write Thank you notes for her friends.
3. Return Gifts – I have a policy of gifting only books to kids so we spent endless hours on Flipkart and Amazon, choosing different books for giving as return gift and prizes for games as well.
4. Birthday Girl Questionnaire – We made a fun list together for questions related to her, like – what’s her favorite activity class in school, which food she enjoys the most, what’s her favourite dance form, etc. The most controversial question was who is her best friend in the class!
5. Balloon Decoration – I have never met a child who is not fond of balloons. My daughter is no exception. She loves playing with balloons. So we decorated her room with balloons one night before her birthday, so she woke up to a pleasant surprise!
How do you make birthdays special for your little ones? Looking forward to hear more suggestions from you all.
Rashmi Sehgal is the mother of two adorable kids, 4 and 1-year-old fondly known as Angel and Lil Prince on her blog. She wears the dual hat of mother and IT Professional who juggles between work and kids trying to maintain balance between both worlds . She is a voracious reader , avid blogger , Shopaholic, love to experiment different way of learning and unlearning things with her daughter and take pleasure in reading books to her daughter. She writes at rashworld.wordpress.com