We as a family love crafting! Crafting is the easiest way to explore creativity and imagination power in kids. Making something on their own endows them with confidence and a positive attitude. It will also build self-esteem and constructive emotional response to learning.
There are various benefits of crafting for kids:
1. Develop higher thinking ability – Childhood is the fundamental phase of life. Crafting is a wonderful and easy process to develop thinking ability at higher level.
2. Fine motor skills – Crafting accelerates the development of muscles in hands and fingers (in colouring, paint brushing) and thus improves fine motor skills, esp. in pre-schoolers. They can learn colours, numbers and shape recognition also.
3. Boredom buster – Crafting is a great boredom buster. It is an amazing tool to keep kids engaged and entertained. Be it rainy, snowy or hot days, crafting is a unique solution to spend time.
4. Stress reliever– Nowadays anxiety disorders, depression and other psychosomatic disorders are common in kids. Crafting works as a great stress reliever for kids. A scientific study suggested that sick people who engage themselves in creative activities require less medication for pain.
5. Foundation for future – A child who enjoys clay moulding may become a successful sculptor or a girl who loves to make costumes for her doll may become a renowned fashion designer in future.
Here are some tips to encourage crafting in kids:
1. Do not wait for summer – Don’t keep your crafting or other hobby activities limited to summer vacations. Plan a ‘weekend/monthly project’ to introduce simple methods of crafting. Recycling is the best tool for that.
2. Play date with friend – Organize a crafting competition or group crafting with other friends to encourage them for good work.
3. Reward and praise – When they take interest and complete a project, praise them for motivation.
There are various methods for crafting, but personally I like recycling and crafting with 1-3 steps (simple crafts that complete in 3 steps). Because in routine life we all lack time and kids also have shorter attention span, so I prefer simple and recycled crafts. Here I am sharing some of them. Hope you like it.
1. Doraemon photo frame – Kids love cartoons. It is a good idea to incorporate children’s favourite things in creative activities. So I thought why not make a Doraemon photo frame?
Material needed – Plain paper, piece of cardboard, pencil, crayons, glue, popsicle sticks, colours and a photograph of your child.
Method – First draw all Doraemon characters on paper and colour them. Cut them out with a pair of scissors and make a cut out. (We had selected Doraemon; you can choose any other cartoon character too)
Then make a simple photo frame with cardboard and popsicle sticks (colour or decorate popsicle sticks for better presentation) then stick your child’s photographs and attach all cut outs on four side of frame. A super easy and elegant photo frame is ready.
Variation- You may use foam sheet for base. Shells, stones and stickers are other options for decoration.
2. Bulletin and message board – Bulletin boards are a good source to put all important messages. It is also helpful in developing organisational skills in kids at early age.
Material needed – Cardboard, piece of cloth, decorative material.
Method – Cut the required piece of cardboard with craft knife.-
Cover it with a piece of cloth (we had used a red colour muslin cloth for bright look) cover it properly with tape or pins. Decorate it with stones, lace etc. an easy message board is ready for your all important message.
3. Time capsule- It is a Chinese craft. They collect all their good memories in a decorated mason jar for the whole year and then read it on New Year’s Eve to feel the goodness and positivity of past year. Why not try this nice tradition at your home also?
Material needed- Mason jar, decorative material and slip of paper.
Method – Decorate the jar according to your choice. Explain to all family members that whenever they have a good experience (get good marks in exam, a promotion in job) they need to write it on a piece of paper and then put these slips in the jar. Read it during New Year celebration and have lots of fun.
4. Paper collages – This is simplest way to recycle old magazines, clothes and different cards.
Material needed – Cardboard or drawing sheet, old magazine, clothes, cards…options are endless. Just explore your imagination.
Method – First select a theme. We had selected “Food” theme. Then collect pictures of all kinds of food from old magazines. Even you can draw and colour food items on a piece of paper and cut it to make a cut out. Then explain them the importance of a healthy diet and nutritional ingredients. Also tell them about the disadvantages of junk food. Then glue the all pictures on a piece of cardboard to make a paper collage. Kids will have lots of fun and creativity.
Variation- This is an art where we can use tons of theme and materials. Like:
1. Fabric collage
2. Vegetable collage
3. Old cards collage
4. Cotton ball collage
5. Shape collage
6. Animal collage
So these are my creative ideas for a simple crafting journey, what is yours? Do not forget to share. Until then happy crafting!
Surbhi is a qualified doctor (B.H.M.S.) with 5 year of teaching and clinical experience. She started her writing journey at the age of 17 and published various articles in famous news paper and magazines. The most incredible experience of her life is being a mommy of two cute dolls. Recently she started her own blog Positive Parenting. She loves to write on crafting, parenting issues and kids activity and wants to share my parenting journey with others.